Friday, February 8, 2013

As I Am Coconut Cowash vs. Wen Fig Cleansing Conditioner


The Battle of the Cleansing Conditioners.

I recently purchased both of these products to become acquainted with using cleansing conditioners. These two products I have heard a lot about and I wanted to see how they would work with my hair. I have used them for over a month now so I am ready to share with you my experience...

I started with purchasing As I Am Coconut Cowash from Sally's Beauty Supply Store. The first time that I tried it I wasn't too thrilled with the outcome. I thought I would be head over heels for this product, especially after I opened the jar and fell in love with the smell. But after using it a couple of times I didn't particularly like the way that it made my hair feel. It felt stripped but sort of waxy. I couldn't detangle my hair like I imagined I should've been able to...my hair was just blah.

I kept using it though...not sure of why.

Then I ordered Wen Fig Cleansing Conditioner off of Amazon.com. When it arrived my hair was actually straightened so I had to wait a week to use it for the first time. I hated the smell. But loved the convenience of the pump (versus the As I am Coconut Cowash jar). My hair felt similar to how it felt with the As I Am Coconut Cowash. Not as waxy. Definitely couldn't tangle my hair with this product. Neither product quite did it for me.

Until I read the product instructions of Wen. The instructions state to leave the product in the hair for 3-5 minutes. This definitely did it for me. My hair felt way better than it felt when I used it the first time without leaving it in for even 30 seconds. I found that both products worked a bit better leaving them in longer.

Am I ultimately as impressed with the cleansing conditioner concept as I thought I would be? Nah. I think that I get the same, if not better, results from using a conditioner co-wash. Also, I think that since I am already washing my hair 3 times a week, I am not in dire need of using a cleansing conditioner. I will be using the cleansing conditioners about once a month but that's about it.

Have you had a good experience with using cleansing conditioners? If you have or have not, please share below!

1 comment:

  1. I use to love WEN, when I was transitioning. I'm tempted to try it again, but I like the mud wash and my current product rotation. So not sure it would be worth the additional expense. Great review.

    ReplyDelete