Thursday, February 23, 2012

Neem Powder/Oil


About two weeks ago, I was browsing some items in my local Indian store. I picked up a box of Neem Powder (thinking it was Alma powder....apparently I can't read) and picked up a bottle of Neem oil. I have wanted to try some other products in the Indian store other than Henna and I thought I would do some experimenting.

Once I got home, I began to research the products more. I usually do this before making my purchase, but since my visit to the Indian store was random, I didn't have the chance to. I discovered that the Neem Tree is has a reputation as being the "wonder tree". It has been used in the past and even in the present to treat various illnesses and it is also used as preventative care. For hair, it is usually used to treat dandruff. I don't have a problem with dandruff, but I thought that was interesting. In general, it is used to promote hair health. 

Finally I opened up my new products. I kind of felt like a kid playing with new toys. Until I caught a whiff of the Neem Oil.

Damn near passed out.

Talk about stank. Wheeeweeee!

Nevertheless, I began mixing a concoction of Neem Powder, Conditioner, and Neem Oil. I applied it to my hair. Though I must have walked around the house smelling rather interesting, I kept it in for a half hour.



Washing it out was quite an experience. Not as bad as washing out Henna. But this stuff looks like a paste once it goes on, so it's not like washing out conditioner. Though the smell lingered for day or two (I think I used too much Neem Oil)...I loved the way that it made my hair feel. It made it feel soft and strong. I think I will be using this once or twice a month as a deep deeeep conditioner.

The next product on my "Indian Store Wish List" is the Shikakai Powder. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. Chile that neem oil is no joke. That mess smells like a dead dog buried in nothing but rotten onions in 120 degree weather all day every day. I used it once back in '08. Never again. I still have that bottle. I just know it smells worse now.

    guyanesesista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!! I love your description! So true! Omg...I really almost passed out when I opened it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha....!!!!! Great description (",) I totally agree, it stinks real bad! I used mine once and threw it away cos there was no waxing was gonna open that bottle again, never mind put it on my hair again. The smell lingered for days.

    I still use neem powder sometimes in my henna gloss mixes.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in philadelphia, do anyone know where i can go to get some neem and holy basil powder for my skin?

    ReplyDelete