Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Hair, Nails, and Shea Butter

It is now week three and I'm still protective styling with my install. I have noticed some tangling. This I'm guessing is to be expected because the hair was bought from the BSS and also because I'm wearing it curled rather than straight. As a result of trying to untangle the hair nightly (which takes about one minute...nothing major), the hair sheds. I have only noticed this when using the vent brush on my hair though. 

The first week I co-washed the hair with Herbal Essences. It kind of left the weave hair feeling weighed down. So in doing a little research, I heard that Pantene Pro-V works wonders on Remy. I surely was surprised by the results. This will be my weave staple. I'm hoping to go at least two more weeks with this hair. Can't wait to see if I've gained an inch or two during this time spent protective styling.

My new obsession is black nail polish. I thought it would give others the impression that I have gone to the dark side. Or that I'm trying out for a lead role in a vampire movie. But shockingly, it doesn't. I actually like it...a lot!





Here is my first successful Whipped Shea Butter **applause**.

I have always loved the moisturizing effects of Shea Butter in the colder months. It's the only product that got my hair through the winter of last year. It will be my main moisturizing boo again this year. Allow me to share the recipe...

Ingredients:
Raw Shea Butter (2 cups)
Coconut Oil (1/4 cup)
Castor Oil (1/3 cup)

Directions:
I melted the shea butter in the microwave until it was completely liquified. (Some people don't recommend this because it takes longer for it to solidify.) I then used my hand held blender to mix the Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, and Castor Oil together in a bowl for about 10 minutes on a high setting. The  liquid began to thicken slightly, but not enough (remember, I lack patience). I placed the bowl in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes. Once removing the bowl, I noticed that the mixture was much thicker. I used the hand held blender for another ten minutes and then poured the Shea Butter into small containers. 

That's all folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment