Monday, July 4, 2011

Putting the "UMPH!" in Protective Styling















Yesterday I made a decision.

It is time for me to fully commit myself to protective styling. The phrase alone (protective styling) gives me goose bumps. I just always feel like protective styles look amazing on everyone else besides me. For those that have been living under a rock, protective styles are hairstyles that do not involve wearing your hair "loose". It is generally done to protect the ends of the hair, though some protective styles manage to protect all of your hair. Examples of protective styles include: braids, twists, buns, wigs, weaves, extensions, updo's, hair pieces and the list goes on and on.

The protective style that I am going to "work with" this month is bunning/up-do hairstyles. The tricky part about buns as a protective style is that you can still experience breakage, if you are not bunning the correct way. One of the most important tips to remember when bunning is to make sure that your hair is not too tight in the ponytail. Also, make sure that you are using a ponytail holder that is not damaging to your hair. Goody Ouchless Ponytail Holders are a great example! In addition to this tip, you also want to remember while protecting your hair, don't neglect it...so make sure that you are still moisturizing and sealing your hair and especially those ends!

Lastly, beat the "protective styling blues" by adding accessories to your styles. For buns, head bands (especially those cute ones with the flowers on them), colorful bobby pins, and even earrings can add instant glam to a protective 'do. So whatever protective style you choose, have fun with it and cheers to your continued hair health and growth!













Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Bunning is soothing all of my natural woes right now. Although it takes quite some effort to get my hair pulled back into a bun, I love the sleek look. I did bunning last summer and my hair grew TREMENDOUSLY! I haven't applied heat to my hair since February so I'm anxious in knowing how much it has grown but Buns are just so convenient for summer weather.

    Good luck with your methods.

    ReplyDelete